Home
What Causes Fire
Mains Battery Smoke
Landlords Fire Systems
Contact Details
Other Property Services



We are Homeserve Electricians and we still find wooden fuse boards like this one over 50 years old.
The electrical consumption 50 years ago was nothing compared to what we use today so the wooden fuse board was adequate, if not safe, today it's not acceptable and this would be a code 1 - needs replacement as soon as possible, never mind the fire risk, think about the heat generated through the wire fuses with today's demand and you are asking for trouble. This is an accident waiting to happen. The other dangers here are exposed parts, someone could insert there hand and get an electric shock, another No No. Also if you were to check deeper you would find that the earthing is not adequate and the incoming supply will only just cope with the demand. With no RCD protection that is mandatory these days. If you checked the lighting circuit, there would be no earth, once again danger of shock under fault conditions.

This is what should be seen, double RCD protection and wiring with earth bonding up to regulation complete with smoke detection.
The above wooden fuse board and wiring is a fire waiting to happen. A full rewire to current standards is the only way forward on this occasion.


The next image is another fire risk as the fuse board sits on a wooden plinth and is open backed, therefore a short circuit would create heat resulting in an electrical fire, also from experience the wiring to these fuse boards are not usually up to standard, once again the best way forward is a complete rewire . 

Also note, no RCD protection and often we find an electric shower wired into the same fuse board. That is a very dangerous situation often done by, "my friend who is 'an electrician'!!".
All work listed, regarding fuse boards and rewires by law have to be notified to building control and certificates issued. Once again if you have any questions or would like a visual inspection to put your mind at ease, give me a ring on our Land line - 01162333666 or Mobile - 07970666614.

Always be aware when using mobile heaters, it may be cold but be careful with what they are facing and heating up, you might not be in the room to notice, but lots of fabrics are very flammable.

Also be aware of chairs and soft furnishings, it's only in recent years that we become aware of what they area made of and weather or not they flame retardant, all modern soft furnishing are labelled flame resistant, you know its bad when charity shops wont take them as a donation. So be aware.

Be aware of older type ceiling tiles, they are made of polystyrene, in a fire condition will melt and can cause very bad burn injuries.

All this seems depressing but you have to be aware these days - Stay Safe!!  

Very familiar, we see this all the time, this is another common cause of fires within the home and workplace.
Get extra sockets installed, don't rely on adapters and extension leads, the more you use double adapters and trailing leads the more chance of a problem occurring.
Be careful plan your electrics - Stay Safe!!


Down lighters are common in most properties these days, the most common form have 50 watt halogen lamps, open backed fittings situated in a wooden roof space with insulation surrounding the unit.
Other common places are kitchen ceilings in the above floor space. If you look at the 1st picture it shows how an open backed light when overheating catches fire this then sets the rest of the roof space or floor space on fire not a good situation, the question is what do you have installed in your property?
The answer to the problem is install lights with a containment area for fire, as you can see in the second picture. It's not rocket science to understand the reasons for fire containment is it? So, why did we not think of this years ago when the open backed units were first made.
Today we would not install open backed units, but the question still remains what type of light do you have in your ceiling. We have all heard people complain that the halogen lamps don't seem to last very long even in other fittings, look very close and you will see that most of the lamps are in small light enclosures with nowhere for the heat to be dissipated, this in it's self, limits the life of the lamp as they are operating outside of the optimum design temperature.
If you would like us to give you our opinion on your lighting then call 0116233366, explain you would like a Safety Survey and we will arrange for someone to call.   


This is a modern day down lighter fitting with a fire rated enclosure. You can have low energy LED lights, low energy fluorescent lamps or conventional halogen lamps. They come in different colours and can be low voltage, 12v, or mains voltage, 240v, GU10 fittings.   

The light fitting on the left is a low energy GU10 bathroom light with a fire rated enclosure.







GU10 lamps have 2 lugs on the base that clip into a lamp holder.
Halogen low voltage lamps have 2 pins that push into a ceramic base.


We have all done it at some time, gone to bed with the computer or television left on standby, but we do know better. When we go on holiday one of the last things we do is unplug all unnecessary devices. Why do we do this, to help prevent a fire when we are away, very good, but what about when we are at home and in bed, it has been known on one or more occasions a fire has started when the equipment has been left on standby. We know all about this, so put what you know into practice, don't wait until after the event.  









Its makes sense to Switch it Off, some items use nearly as much power in standby mode as they do in their normal working mode, and with the cost of energy increasing, now is the time to take action. You are saving lives and money

Top